Sunday, November 20, 2011

Make your own Mustard

I've only made mustard once and I was very encouraged by the results! The recipe I started with came from a great food blog: Hunter Angler Gardener Cook.  I like a mostly whole grain, mildly hot, intensely flavored mustard.  I originally made the recipe with cold liquid (cuz I wanted to see how spicy it would be) and it turned out much too spicy for me.  Also, I thought the recipe was too dry (so dry it was difficult to spread) so here is my adjusted recipe for next time:

3 tablespoons black or brown mustard seeds
2 tablespoons yellow mustard seeds
3 tablespoons mustard powder
1/2 cup warm white wine, water, juice, or beer
3 tablespoons vinegar (cider, white wine, or sherry)
2 teaspoons salt
 
Grind the whole mustard seeds for a few seconds in a spice or coffee grinder, or in a mortar and pestle, leaving them mostly whole.  Pour the semi-ground seeds into a bowl and add the salt and mustard powder.  Stir in the warm liquid and let sit for 10 minutes. Stir in the vinegar until well combined. Pour into a glass jar with a lid and store in the fridge. Wait at least 12 hours before using. It will last several months in the fridge.

Makes about 1 cup.

Variations

With the salt & mustard powder, stir in additional flavors of you choice:
  • 2 tablespoons honey 
  • 1 large clove garlic, pressed or minced
  • 1 tablespoon minced onion or shallot 
  • 1 teaspoon minced hot chili
  • 1/4 cup minced fresh herbs (I like parsley, chive, and/or thyme) 
  • a pinch to a teaspoon of dried herbs or spices: cayenne, red pepper flakes, dill, 
Or mix up the types of vinegar (or try lemon juice) or the type of liquid used (remember, cold liquid makes the spiciest mustard; warm for medium spice; hot liquid for mild).

No comments:

Post a Comment