Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Calabacitas - Una Receta de Mi Familia

Growing up, my nana made this for me and her abuelita, Narcissa, made it for her.  It's still one of my very favorite meals.  I feel a strong tie to my maternal line, especially to Narcissa, whom I never met but I feel her presence.  She was a farmer, a healer, a spiritual women deeply connected to nature.  I have a lot to learn from her...

Que piensas de estar en el web, tartarabuelita?

2 tablespoons oil
1 onion, quartered and thinly sliced
2-3 summer squash, quartered and thinly sliced
5 garlic cloves, minced
1 pound heirloom tomato, chopped
3 ears corn, kernels cut off the cob
1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped
sea salt
1/3 pound jack cheese, shredded, optional

Add the oil to a large skillet on medium-high heat, allowing it to heat up for a few minutes.  Add the onions and cook until soft, stirring frequently.  Add the squash and garlic; cook until just soft, a few minutes.  Stir in the tomatoes, corn and cilantro and salt to taste.  Top with cheese, cover and turn off heat.  Keep covered until cheese has melted.

Serves 4-6

Serve with tortillas and beans or use it as a filling for tacos, burritos or enchiladas.

No comments:

Post a Comment