Monday, November 7, 2011

I like oatmeal?

Many of the foods I thought I didn't like (for example, sun-dried tomatoes), I have found I do like them once I try them from the farmers market, made from scratch, not full of chemicals and/or refined unto death.  We have forgotten what food tastes like and we've allowed ourselves to be convinced by trillions of dollars in advertising that the latest concoction in a brightly colored package is something we should put in our bodies for nourishment.

I never liked "oatmeal" (I use the term loosely here) before last week because I never ate real oatmeal until last week.  Oatmeal is easy, fast, hearty, wholesome, warm ...and you can add so many different things to it to suit your tastes.

1&1/3 cup water
2/3 cup oats
pinch of sea salt

Stir ingredients together in a small pot, heat to a boil, bring the heat down to a simmer, cover and cook about 5 minutes. Done!  Enough for you and a loved one.

Variations
Try other grains (cook times & amount of water will vary): barley or quinoa flakes, millet...
Sweeten it up: honey, maple syrup, rapadura, jam...
Spice it up: cinnamon, vanilla, cardamom, chai...
Add chopped nuts or seeds: almonds, pecans, walnuts, chia, hemp...
Thin it out with more water, milk, cream, buttermilk, hemp milk, apple juice, fruit puree, kefir...
Add fresh seasonal fruit (right now, chopped apples or persimmon)
Add dried fruit: blueberries, coconut, peach, cherries...

Flavor Combos to Try
maple + cinnamon + milk + almonds + apple
honey + coconut milk + chia + strawberries
dried blueberries + vanilla + pecans + rapadura sugar

No comments:

Post a Comment