Sunday, January 24, 2021

Light Vegetable Soup

I'm doing a short fast to rest my intestines.  I fasted yesterday (just water) and today I'm keeping my calories very low and drinking veg/fruit juice with little to no fiber, fat, and protein.  Tomorrow I'll add more calories and fiber, keeping my fat and protein low, with a fruit and greens smoothie for breakfast and this soup for lunch and probably dinner.  After that, I'll start to add in grains (maybe oatmeal for breakfast and a mushroom and wild rice soup for lunch), then add a bit more protein (maybe a lentil soup), then a bit more fat (adding nuts and seeds), progressing until I reach my normal diet, as long as my intestines seem to handle each day healthily. 

½ tblsp olive oil
½ cup yellow onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
½ cup carrot, diced or julienned or thin sliced quarters
½ cup celery, diced
½ cup zucchini, chopped or sliced
1 cup tomato, diced (fresh or canned) with juice
3 cups vegetable broth
1 cup fresh greens, packed, rough chop
a handful of Italian parsley leaves, fresh, chopped
sea salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste

Sauté the onion and garlic in the oil in a pan on medium heat until they begin to soften, about 3 minutes, stirring (do not brown). Add the carrot and celery and cook until they begin to soften, about another 3 minutes. Add zucchini and cook until it begins to soften, another couple minutes.

Add the tomato and broth and simmer briefly. Stir in spinach and parsley and season to taste.

3 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment