Thursday, March 27, 2014

Citrus Jamaica Chia Fresca & Holistic Orchards

I've been taking a wonderful class through Wild Willow Farm & Education Center on holistic fruit tree care with an inspiring and extremely knowledgeable teacher.  I'm about to plant citrus, avocado and even bananas(!) and I already have a few citrus, loquats, pomegranate, peaches, and a mulberry so I can immediately (and gratefully) put what I'm learning to good use.

Last week, we spent some time at one of our classmate's beautiful and extensive mostly-citrus grove and, lucky us, she was kind and generous with her lemons.  I love to make all sorts of lemonades, so here's what I brought to class to share this week:

3/4 oz dried hibiscus (the edible kind)
1/4 oz dried orange peel
1 1/2 cups evaporated cane sugar (more or less to taste)
1 1/2 cups freshly squeezed lemon juice (more or less to taste)
1/2 cup chia seeds (more or less to taste)

Bring 4 cups of filtered or spring water to a boil and add the hibiscus and orange peel.  Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the sugar and stir until dissolved.  Strain the liquid into a gallon container and allow to cool.  Add the lemon juice and chia seeds and fill the rest of the container with water.

No comments:

Post a Comment