Saturday, May 11, 2013

My First - and Best - Hot Sauce: Chipotle

I've been wanting to make hot sauce for a while.  My spouse loves it but it's hard to find a really good one with wholesome & organic ingredients.  So when the deli put one out that I particularly enjoyed, I asked how they made it.

Based on Daniel's recipe at OB People's deli...

1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
1/2 cup whole dried New Mexican chilis, stems removed
1/4 cup whole dried chipotle chilis, stems removed
4 fresh medium heirloom tomatoes
1 fresh anaheim chili
1 head garlic

Heat vinegar with equal parts filtered water, add salt and dried chiles and simmer until dried chilis are soft (this could take a few hours). 

Roast fresh chili, garlic and tomato at 400 degrees until soft and blistered; remove stems (and skin & seeds if desired). 

Blend all ingredients until smooth. Add more vinegar and/or water for desired consistency.  

My spouse was very excited when trying the sauce and immediately started listing the foods he would eat it on (vegetarian tacos, vegetable hash, poached eggs, hash browns, nachos...)

No comments:

Post a Comment